Happy last day of spring break everyone! This spring break really sucked. Most of the family was sick throughout the vacation. I held on and somehow did not get sick until 2 days ago. The fever, the coughing, and the headaches were quite annoying. Everyone is on the mend now, so that is good.
My big kids go back to school tomorrow, Passover ended last night, and the little baking assistant(Diane) is at school. Jake decided it was the perfect day to make some muffins.
Jake loves to cook. It inspires him to eat more. So today we quickly whipped up some delicious and healthy vegan jelly muffins.
- 1 cup milk (we used almond, you can use soy or coconut too)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup jam (we used strawberry)
- 2 T powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. We love the silicone muffin holders, so that we do not have to throw away the papers, or lose some of the muffin inside the paper 🙂
- In a measuring cup mix together your milk, vinegar and cornstarch. Mix well and get out any lumps.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center. Pour in the milk mixture slowly. Add in the sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir well. Put your batter into each muffin liner and then plop some jelly on top. The jelly plopping is a great job for kids! Do not overfill your muffins. The jam sinks to the bottom while baking. Bake for 21-24 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack and then set uncovered overnight in a cool dry place. This will make the tops slightly crispy, like a donut crust. Using a sifter, sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar and serve with a nice cup of tea. Or, eat the muffin right out of the oven and burn the roof of your mouth like Jake just did.