10 Grain Muffins are a great breakfast treat
A few years ago I was nominated to be a Hero of the Mill from the Bob’s Red Mill company. This honor really means a lot to me. I eat very healthy, and try to convince my kids that they also want to eat healthy. But, with the kids, if it does not taste delicious, they will not give it a try.
As a Hero of the Mill, I get surprise packages in the mail a few times a year. The packages are always amazing and always include things I try right away. Often they will send me new products that they are excited to share with me. The kids are just as happy to try the new Bob’s Red Mill products as I am.
This month’s surprise included a Thermos, a bag of Turbinado Sugar and a bag of 10 grain hot cereal. Diane just started a new school and at her new school the kids bring thermos’. Diane immediately claimed this one and it keeps her lunch hot!! What a great item. The turbinado sugar has huge crystals and it tastes awesome. We have tried it in coffee, tea and muffins so far.
We eat Bob’s Red Mill steel cut oats for breakfast everyday. I think we have eaten those for at least 15 years now. But, we have never tried a 10 grain hot cereal before and wow, it was so delicious. A nice change of pace. You can make it before you go to bed in a thermos, then grab it and go off on your day with a hot breakfast at your fingertips. Ten different grains are included in this mix:
*Whole Grain Wheat
*Whole Grain Rye
*Whole Grain Triticale
*Whole Grain Oats
*Whole Grain Millet
*Whole Grain Brown Rice
If you want to have a simple easy to make breakfast, try this 10 grain cereal on a cold winter morning, it really is so easy. Or, you can use the cereal in a filling 10 grain muffin. We have made this recipe twice and the muffins are gone in minutes. Perfect for an on the go snack, lunchbox treat, or breakfast.
- 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain cereal
- 1 and 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar (or your favorite sweetener)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg or egg substitute
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill pastry whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a small bowl combine 10 grain cereal and buttermilk. Stir it well and let sit 10 minutes.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, chocolate chips and baking soda.
- After 10 minutes, add 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup appplesauce to the bowl with the cereal and buttermilk. Stir until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon into 14 muffin holders.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Should be light brown on top and a toothpick should come out dry.