This morning my kitchen was staged for our first TV spot. It looks so nice and clean doesn’t it? I was invited to to tape a piece that will be shown on NBC4 tomorrow morning between 4:30 and 7AM. None of you will probably be awake and hopefully neither will I. As soon as I have the link I will leave it here. So what was I talking about? I was sharing my love of healthy foods as well as talking about the upcoming Moms Meet WOW Summit coming up this weekend. I was not nervous at all and my little mini-blogger was excited to be in a few scenes. I would really love to do some more TV spots in the near future, it was so much fun.
Everything was very quick and easy. I did not get to share all I wanted to in the segment so I am posting the rest of the information here. The story was supposed to be about, “If I can cook healthy food for my 5 crazy kids, any Mom should also be able to do it too!” Here are my top 5 tips for raising your kids in a healthy way.
- Teach your kids when they are young how to read a nutrition label. This will be a lifelong skill that will keep them healthy for life.
- Have healthy snacks in an easily accessible area. If there are only healthy snacks to eat, that is what the kids will eat!
- Have your kids help you plan meals, let them look at cookbooks, and recipes online. Allow them to choose recipes, shop for ingredients, and make the meal with you! They will thank you when they get older.
- Don’t expect to transition your family to eating healthy overnight, take it step by step. Get rid of one unhealthy food at a time.
- You can find alternatives to unhealthy foods and you might even be surprised at how delicious your own homemade foods taste. See our homemade Oreo ice cream here.
The last thing we did on the segment was talk about my muffin recipe. We created some gluten free, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, delicious chocolate chip muffins! To tell you how good these are, I will tell you that my daughter ate 3 of them on our way back to school. Yup, that is the true sign of approval! I hope to see many of you at the WOW Summit this weekend.
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 T aquafaba (the liquid from the chickpea can)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
- 2 cups gluten free flour substitute(we used Bob's Red Mill Paleo Baking Mix)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- In a small bowl mix together the applesauce and sugar.
- Stir in the aquafaba and the milk.
- Add in the vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin papers. My batter made 10 muffins.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.