Healthy desserts are common around here. After eating a nutritious dinner it is great to be able to offer the family a healthy dessert. Chocolate pudding or chocolate mousse is a family favorite. One way to make a healthy chocolate mousse is by using aquafaba, (the liquid in a can of chickpeas) in place of egg whites. I shared a really easy recipe for Aquafaba chocolate mousse here. Eating healthy fats is important in our diet so we try to eat avocados as often as possible. We love to make chips and guacamole, but avocados can also be turned into a delicious dessert.
Avocados are healthy for many reasons:
- Avocados are loaded with potassium and fiber.
- Avocados have no sugar or sodium.
- Avocados make a great swap to make a recipe healthier and vegan.
- Avocados have 20 vitamins, nutrients and minerals in every serving.
- Avocados have 3.5 grams of good fat per 1 oz. serving.
I have two tips for eating avocados. First, if your avocado is very hard and not ripe, put it in a paper bag with a banana and in 2 days you will have a ripe avocado! The second tip is that you should not refrigerate an avocado until it is ripe.
I hope you enjoy this delicious and nutritious recipe.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 2 large ripe avocados scoop out the flesh
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Refrigerate at least an hour.
- To serve, place the mousse into bowls and garnish as desired.
If you are a visual person, you can watch our video here:
Do you like avocados? What is your favorite way to eat them?