Cirque du Soleil Ovo is opening tonight at the Eagle Bank Arena in Fairfax, Virginia. This incredible show will only be in town for the next four days. We had a behind the scenes tour today, and based on what we saw, this show is one of a kind! Eagle Bank Arena is located on the George Mason campus at 4500 Patriot Circle, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Cirque du Soleil Ovo
There are only 6 remaining performances in Virginia, click this link to buy your tickets. Remember, everyone age 2 and older needs a ticket. The remaining shows are:
- Thursday, August 17, at 7:30 PM
- Friday, August, 18 at 7:30 PM
- Saturday, August 19 at 4:00 PM and 7:30 PM
- Sunday, August 20 at 1:30 PM and 5:00 PM
Once the performances are over in Virginia, the show will travel in 20 semi trailer trucks to Baltimore, Uniondale, NY, Boston and then Quebec. After the Quebec performance, the trucks will travel by boat to Europe. October 5th will be the first European performance in Zurich, Switzerland.
The mini blogger and I enjoyed a 2 hour behind the scenes visit to Ovo today and wow, this show has so many moving parts. Check out the video that we made of all the happenings back stage. We would like to thank Ashley Arias, and both Heather Reilly and Nicolas Chabot from Cirque du Soleil, for sharing so much information and for allowing us to have a sneak peek of the magic of Cirque du Soleil.
- There are 100 people in the Ovo tour, 50 are performers on stage and 50 work behind the scenes.
- 20 different countries are represented in the group! Each countries flag is proudly on display backstage.
- Ovo travels in 19 semi trailer trucks and one food truck to a different city every week. They travel for 2.5 months and then have 2 weeks off.
- All 100 people on tour, stay at local hotels which they reserve 9-12 months in advance.
- The flyers practice with harnesses, but during the performances, they do not use any harnesses.
- Two physiotherapists are on staff with the show and no one has gotten hurt more seriously than a sprained ankle.
- It takes 8-12 hours for them to setup in an arena. If they are setting up a big-top show it can take 8-12 DAYS.
- All the music is LIVE during the show, with 7 musicians as well as a band leader who plays bass.
- The casting department for all Cirque du Soleil shows is in Montreal. Many performers are found on YouTube or referred by other performers.
- Every act gets some time on the stage to practice technical validation before a live performance.
- A portable gym travels with the show so that everyone can stay in shape.
- 6 washers and 2 dryers also travel to handle all the laundry after each show.
- Each performer does their own hair and makeup!
- This show has a “bug” theme and each set of bugs has their own dressing room. This sign really cracked us up!
- They bring everything they need for every performance and want you to Keep it Tidy and BE NICE!
We saw the show last night and it was spectacular! Each act was fantastic. The music and costumes were amazing. OVO takes place in a colony of bugs. A foreigner (the blue fly) comes to visit the bug community and he falls in love with the ladybug. The bugs have the most detailed costumes I have ever seen.