Sugar Free Lava Cake
Happy New Year! I cannot believe the year 2019 starts tomorrow. Time really flies and somehow we are a year away from 2020, unbelievable! Today’s recipe is dedicated to my son, Alex, who is home for winter break from college. His favorite dessert is lava cake. Alex has been limiting his sugar intake so together we created this sugar free lava cake for him to enjoy. If you are looking for a sugar substitute, Steviva is a great option. You can use it in baking, or in your coffee, just like you would use sugar. It is a 1:1 substitute.
I am sure you are wondering what exactly Steviva is. It is a sugar substitute made from allulose, monk fruit, and stevia. It is delicious and I love to sweeten my cup of tea with it, it melts quickly, just like sugar does. It is also fantastic for baking. I find Steviva sweetener to be slightly less sweet than regular sugar. Steviva is diabetic safe, keto friendly, vegan, kosher, gluten free and paleo friendly. You can even use it on top of a crème brûlée and it will brown and caramelize just like sugar does. Steviva has only 5% of the calories that regular sugar has, so if you are counting your calories, you can enjoy a sweet treat with this substitute.
Today’s recipe is quite easy. It is a sugar free lava cake for two. This recipe is perfect for a romantic Valentine’s Day dessert as well. This dessert is great because it only takes a few minutes to put together and is made with ingredients you probably have at home. One tip to keep in mind, you must butter and flour your ramekin or your lava cake could stick. Or, you can use a baking spray, which has butter and flour combined inside the spray. One other tip, if you like a really gooey center for your lava cake, you must underbake it. We baked ours for the full amount, as we do not like the center to be too gooey. If you want an oozy cake, bake your lava cake for about 9 minutes.
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 cup Steviva, sugar substitute
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Butter and lightly flour two 6-ounce ramekins.
- Tap out the excess flour and set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, over simmering water, melt the butter with the chocolate. You can also melt them in the microwave, but carefully check how they are melting every 15 seconds
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg with the egg yolk, Steviva and salt at high speed until thickened and pale.
- Whisk the chocolate and buter until smooth.
- Quickly fold it into the egg mixture along with the 1T of flour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 12 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. If you want a very gooey center, bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold.
- Serve immediately.
Please follow the Steviva brand on social media they are on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. You can find some great recipes on their social media accounts as well as contests and giveaways.
I partnered with Steviva and created this recipe as part of the Steviva Blogger Recipe Challenge.