Last week I was talking with a friend about healthy snacks. I feel like you can never have too many healthy snack ideas, right? My friend was talking a lot about unhealthy choices, but then she showed me a trail mix she had made and she put it in individual ziplock bags that had granola, nuts, seeds and hemp seeds. I had never head of hemp seeds before. Have you? I quickly looked them up on Amazon and they had tons of options. I thought it was really strange that I had never even seen hemp seeds in any of my health food stores before. Thanks to my Amazon Prime membership, I had my hemp seeds 2 days after learning about hemp seeds from my friend. Anyone else an Amazon Prime addict like me?
I opened up the bag, and boy was I surprised. I thought these would be more seed like. The seeds alone taste fine, nothing amazing, kind of a soft little seed-ish thing. They basically melt in your mouth as you eat them. We have so far added them to oatmeal, smoothies and rolled some no bake cookies in them. They add a really nice flavor!
The nutrition facts on the back are really great. The package shared that you only need to eat 3 spoons a day to add a good amount of Omega 3s to your diet. 3 Tablespoons of hemp seeds are 174 calories and 13 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of saturated fat. Also, 11 grams of protein and lots of great iron, zinc, phosphorous and magnesium levels. These seeds were awesome rolled onto a no bake peanut butter candy, so next we decided to make a hemp seed bread. One serving, which is 30 grams, has 25% of your daily thiamin, 15% of your daily B6, 10% of your daily folate, 50% of your daily phosphorous, 50% of your daily magnesium, 20% of your daily zinc, 25% of your daily copper, and 110% of your daily manganese. These little seeds are really a power packed bunch!
The kids all loved this bread and they are begging me to make another loaf!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds raw
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1 package of rapid rise yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water.
- Combine hemp seeds, flours, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup combine warm water(110 degrees), yeast and agave. Let proof and stand for at least 5 minutes. If your cup is not nice and frothy at the top, throw it out and start again!
- Make a well in the center of the flours bowl. Pour in the yeast mixture and stir until it is starting to turn into a ball of dough.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth(remember the hemp seeds will make the dough look a bit lumpy, this is fine!)
- Place dough ball in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise for 2 hours. Dough should double.
- Deflate dough and shape into a loaf and let rise again 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Update July 2016:
First of all, I cannot believe this post was written by me 5 years ago! Time goes by so quickly. We still love our hemp seeds and funny enough, we are still addicted to Amazon Prime. Some things never change. Updating the post with a Pinterest photo since this recipe has been quite popular over the years. Thanks for visiting everyone and keep on enjoying your hemp seeds! We made a loaf a few hours ago and now it is almost gone. This protein packed bread is amazing!