I love to have healthy snacks on hand, a go to protein packed quick pick. Quinoa is an awesome way to add health and protein to the kids diet. I have posted a quinoa cookie with chocolate chips before, but today I am sharing with you a Quinoa muffin.
Once or twice a week I make quinoa in my rice machine. This way I have cooked quinoa ready for recipes, stir fries, or to mix in to a recipe.
The muffins I made today would be great with any berry (blueberry, cranberry, raspberry, blackberry) fresh or frozen, whatever is on sale! Whatever flavors your kids enjoy. You can also use a nut, or a chocolate chip of any kind. One son hates chocolate chips, and only likes white chips.
Today we offer for your snacking pleasure:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups flour ( we used sprouted wheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup milk (we used almond coconut milk)
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or applesauce
- 2 cups total of added items to include nuts, coconut, berries, or chips
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mix 1 cup quinoa(cooked) with 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tsp orange zest.
- In a small measuring cup whisk 1 cup milk and 2 TB cornstarch
- Add the wet to the dry.
- Stir very gently.
- Add the 1/2 cup OJ, and the coconut oil.
- Fold in the berries, nuts, chips, etc...
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Spread some peanut butter on it and enjoy with some cold milk.
Before I go, wanted to share a quick picture of Goldie, the chicken who is in my daughter’s class. Goldie and Little Miss Muffin, as they were named by the class are growing so much every day. It is amazing. When I went into class yesterday to snap a quick pic, I think Goldie was posing for me.
Stay tuned for the eggs to hatch soon!!!