How do you cook for a family of 7? I have a few tips for you.
- Enlist the kids to help! Kids as young as two can be helpful in the kitchen. Start them helping early and they will find it second nature to be helpful. Kids can set the table, prep the veggies, fill the glasses, and clear the table and help load the dishwasher.
- Have the kids shop with you. I know, kids at the store can be very annoying, but you should involve your children in the grocery shopping and meal preparation occasionally. There is so much to learn at the store. Choosing the right foods, how to read a nutrition label, how to make a budget, use a coupon, and pay for your food. Kids who choose recipes and help to make them, are more likely to eat them!
- Make theme nights. A fun theme night dinner makes the kids excited for a family meal. Breakfast for dinner, Italian night, taco night, pizza night with add your own toppings, pasta bar. Choose a family movie and make a dinner that goes along with it. Make something new for dinner!
- Have each of your children be in charge of dinner one night a week. They are in charge of the menu, meal, even dessert. You will be surprised what they might come up with!
- Don’t be afraid to try new foods with your family. Research has shown that it takes almost 20 tastes of a new food for your child’s taste buds to get used to it. So don’t let your child give up after one small taste. Keep trying. Even picky eaters will be able to expand their palette if they try enough foods.
- Last suggestion: If your child does not like what you are serving for dinner, they should be allowed to make something else for themselves. Whole wheat bread with peanut butter and jelly is always an option in my house. If you try my dinner and you don’t like it, you can make something else for yourself, no problem.