Sometimes we need to slow down a bit, even in the summertime. My reluctant reader will rarely pick up a book and read it herself. She is too busy and does not give herself time to get involved in a good book. If I want her to read I will usually read to her aloud. Or, we sometimes each read a page and take turns that way. A few months ago we read our first book in the Mother-Daughter Book Club, Jacky Ha-Ha by James Patterson. Jacky Ha-Ha was funny and silly and we really enjoyed our reading time together. You can read our review of Jacky Ha-Ha here, and also make sure you check out my tips for reluctant readers.
James Patterson is primarily an adult author with many wonderful adult novel. Now that we have discovered his children books we need to read them all! They are exciting, funny, and totally entertaining. The Treasure Hunters: Peril at the Top of the World is a super fun adventure and is definitely one of those books that will keep you reading. At bedtime I would often hear, “Please Mom, can we read one more chapter?”
You can check out the entire Treasure Hunters series here. This series should keep you on the edge of your seat as you follow the Kidd family on their crazy and exciting adventures. You can even read the first 10 chapters of the first book for free at that link. So far there are 4 books in the Treasure Hunters series:
- Treasure Hunters
- Danger Down the Nile
- Secret of the Forbidden City
- Peril at the Top of the World
If you would like to buy a copy of this book, Amazon has a hardcover copy for under $9 here.
The Treasure Hunters series is wonderful for many reasons:
- It encouraged us to read every single night!
- We learned about historical events, famous places, and museums. We looked up each one and discussed them for hours.
- The illustrations were a great way to break up a long chapter. A cute picture and comic and then on to the next page.
- My daughter now wants to take her own trip around the world and become a detective just like the Kidd family.
- It was fun to read about another family with 5 children, we could totally relate to everything that happens in a big family.
Here is a short video that will show you what we loved most about the Treasure Hunters book.
The front flap of the book is so lovely I want to share it with you. It says, “We want to make reading fun for kids- through stories and voices that speak to them and expand their world. We want every kid who finishes a Jimmy (James Patterson) book to say, PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER BOOK!” I love this sentiment so much, and it really worked, because as soon as we finished this book we had to buy the rest of the Treasure Hunters series to read this summer. I received a copy of the Treasure Hunters book and compensation for this post as part of a promotional program with MomSelect. All opinions and thoughts about this book are 100% our own.