So I have 5 kids and each kid has a different eating issue. Not really an issue, but each kid likes different foods. This is most challenging when trying to plan one meal that will make everyone happy. Basically I have given up on that. I try to make things that are healthy, delicious and nutritious and will also please the largest number of people in my house.
My most recent idea is to make a “treat” or dessert type food that will have some added protein in it. I have been experimenting for weeks and I will post for you my best attempts.
Today my 7 year old, basically the world’s pickiest eater, and also a vegan, is home sick. He was hungry and I asked him if he would like a chocolate chip bar. He smiled and said YUM! So off I went to create something he would love and would also sneak some good stuff in.
Since I dont have a picture of the bars, I put in a picture of my 7 year old when he was feeling good.
- 1/2 cup oats, not quick ones
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 whole banana mashed up well
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- you could easily add raisins, dry cranberries, nuts, or coconut to these bars too!
- In one bowl combine oats, both flours, hemp seeds, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl mash up the banana well. Add in almond extract and non dairy milk(I used almond milk).
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ones.
- Once mixed up, add in your chocolate chips or other mix-in that you like.
- Dont overmix it!
- Put in an 8×8 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
My son ate them slightly warm and had 4 pieces in a row!
Hope your kids enjoy these too.
Stay tuned tomorrow for my vanilla protein pie that my teenage picky kid ate 4 slices of!!