Making homemade pizza dough at home is really quite easy. A few simple ingredients, a bit of rising time, and voila, perfect pizza right at home. Once you have your pizza dough you can customize your pizza with your favorite toppings. In our big family everyone likes different toppings so we created the “pizza buffet”. Pizza buffets are fun to create. Start with our easy homemade pizza dough or buy some ready made crusts from a store like Trader Joe’s. One of the best parts of making a pizza buffet is involving your kids in the cooking process. Kids love to measure ingredients, watch how the dough rises, and create their own pizza pies. Kids who cook their food are also much more likely to eat it!
Homemade Pizza Dough
This recipe is tried and true. We make this dough every week for school lunch on Tuesdays and over 100 kids enjoy it every week. Only 6 ingredients and your dough is ready. The dough is forgiving, it can rise for only 10 minutes or up to 2 hours. Once your dough is ready you will need to top it. For your pizza buffet set up some small bowls and let each person create a pizza. Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- Red sauce: We are partial to Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce, 15-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)
- White sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Spices (oregano, red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, sea salt)
- Cheeses (We love mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan, fontina and asiago)
- Sliced vegetables
- Meatless meats or meats
- Minced Garlic or garlic slices
The only other items you need for a pizza buffet are some individual or smaller sized pizza pans. Our favorite pans are these adorable mini pizza pans. These 7 inch pans can be used for a personal pizza for everyone in your family or those attending your party. This recipe makes 4- 12 inch pizza crusts, or 8-12 mini pizza crusts, depending on how thick you like your crust.
- 5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a big bowl.
- Heat the 2 cups of water to 110 degrees. Try to get the temperature as close to 110 as possible.
- Stir the 2 Tablespoons of yeast into the warm water. If the yeast is active it will foam up. Let rest for 5-10 minutes, until foamy.
- Pour the water mixture into the bowl filled with flour.
- Add in your 4 Tablespoons of oil and mix until combined.
- Put into a bowl and let rise in a warm place anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours.
- Punch down your dough and divide into equal pieces.
- Add your toppings and bake.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
What is your favorite pizza topping? Have you ever made a pizza buffet?