This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% mine. #VeryVeggieHoliday #CollectiveBias
Queso Compuesto, have you ever tried this delicious dish? The holidays are so busy for parents. Between the decorating, shopping, school concerts, and parties galore we need to find ways to save time and energy. Cooking for guests can be extremely overwhelming. I like to have a few easy recipes that are delicious, and easy to make. The best appetizers taste amazing and look like you spent hours making them. No one needs to know that it was
super easy, and came together in a flash! I am a vegetarian and I like to make my holiday recipes with a healthier veggie twist. If you want to earn $3.00 on 3 MorningStar Farms® products click below for more details.
One of the best hot appetizers that my guests always enjoy is my homemade Queso Compuesto. It is hot, flavorful, vegetarian and delicious! I have a secret ingredient that makes my queso really flavorful, it is MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™. The MorningStar Farms® Crumbles™ really improve the flavor. But beware, it is addictive! Once you start dipping into this queso, you will want to sit down and finish the whole thing!
Around the holidays, you may have a few surprise visitors. Having an easy, delicious, protein-packed irresistible dish that you can whip up in minutes is so important. I do not want to spend my time cooking, I want to visit with my family and join in the games we love to play. My Queso Compuesto with fresh holiday shaped tortilla chips was a huge hit over Thanksgiving. It took me less than 15 minutes to make and it was enjoyed by everyone. My meat loving relatives did not believe me that this was a vegetarian dish. I did not tell them the ingredients because I wanted them to taste it to believe it. The MorningStar Farms® products are not just for vegetarians, they are for anyone who wants to eat healthier and is open to trying some veggie cuisine.
I found the MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™in the freezer case at my local Walmart. The crumbles are preseasoned with bold Southwest spices. One serving of MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™packs 8 grams of protein, a great boost for all of us. MorningStar Farms® products are perfect for busy families. We use these crumbles for meatless tacos in our school lunch and the kids are in love with them. There were a few kids this week who did not believe that these were meatless, they tasted so good! Making a switch in our school lunch to meatless Mondays was easier than I thought it would be. The kids are loving the meatless tacos, and I love that they are eating less meat and enjoying the healthier options.
I hope you will try my Queso Compuesto recipe with my no-longer-secret ingredient: MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™. Making homemade tortilla chips is not too hard. The delicious flavor is worth the extra work involved. All you need are some cute cookie cutters and a pot with oil in it. I used a reindeer cookie cutter, isn’t it so cute? I also am in love with this snowman cookie cutter as well. Your kids will enjoy helping you cut out the tortillas and watching them
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ of a medium onion; diced
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup Morningstar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 8 oz. Colby Jack finely shredded Cheese
- 8 oz. Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 can of chopped green chilis; not drained
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 5 or 6 Morningstar Farms Steak strips
- dollop of sour cream
- dollop of guacamole
- Spinach wrap or tortillas
- Canola oil for frying the tortilla chips
- Place the two flavors of cheese in a bowl.
- Add the cornstarch and toss until it is well coated and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cracked pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the entire can of green chilis including the liquid and stir.
- Slowly add the heavy whipping cream and reduce heat to low.
- You don’t want to boil the whipping cream so keep the heat low.
- Add half of the cornstarch coated cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Then add the second half of cheese and stir until all of the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Next add the Morningstar Farms Black Bean Crumbles and stir for another minute or two, until the crumbles are heated in the queso.
- To serve, place your queso compuesto in a festive dish.
- Warm the Morningstar Farms steak strips in a pan and then add them on top of the queso.
- You can also leave the toppings in bowls and let each person top their individual queso.
- Add a dollop of sour cream and a dollop of guacamole.
- Serve with homemade holiday tortilla chips.
- To prepare Homemade Holiday Tortilla chips:
- Using metal cookie cutters, cut out holiday shapes from fresh tortillas. Press and slide the tortilla back and forth if you are having trouble getting it to cut thoroughly.
- Add canola oil to a pan so that you have at last ½ inch of oil covering the bottom of your pan.
- Heat the oil until it begins to shimmer.
- Once the oil is hot, using metal tongs, add some of your tortilla shapes. Be careful not to overlap. Just cook a few at a time. It should sizzle when you add them to the pan. If it doesn’t sizzle, the oil isn’t hot enough. They will soak up the oil and not crisp properly.
- Cook them for just a few seconds on each side.
- When you see light browning, flip it over and cook the other side.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Enjoy these tortillas dipped into the queso compuesto
This dish was so delicious, it will most definitely be making another appearance on our table at the Christmas and New Year’s Eve parties. What recipe of yours should I makeover with a veggie twist?
That looks so good! In fact, that looks so good, you should have named it, Queso Con Awesome! Om nom nom.
I can totally rename this dish 🙂 I hope you try it, it is so yummy.
This sounds like something I would really enjoy. Yum. I love me some queso. It’s been forever since I made it. I’ll have to give your recipe a try.
This queso is delicious, I know you will love it!
I’ve never had such a thing before! I might be the only person on the planet who isn’t a huge fan of Mexican food!
Not everyone likes Mexican food, I know that. But cheesy goodness like queso is usually a crowd pleaser.
OMGoodness this looks outstanding and my mouth is literally watering. We love Morningstar Farms in this household! We have used this brand in our recipes for, well, over 10 years I think! Love it!
We have also been fans of MorningStar Farms since they came out. It is so great to have meatless substitutes that taste delicious.
I love the festive touch you added with the cookie cutters. Perfect appetizer for holiday parties. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! The cookie cutters are so much fun for kids to use.
Love finding easy recipe ideas for the holidays! I would devour this myself!
A dish like queso is too easy to eat all at one sitting! This is really an easy recipe for you to enjoy.
This sounds great. I do love the Morning Star Farms products too. They’re always wonderful.
I love that the MorningStar products all people to eat healthier and add some more meatless meals to their diet.
Yum! Looks so delicious! I need to have that here! We love cheese here and I am still on a hunt for a good brand. We have very limited choices here.
You do need to have some good cheese to make a yummy queso!
Yummy! anything with this much cheese is basically heavens food!
I totally agree with you, cheese is life!
Yum, this queso looks so good. I am planning a chicken fajita bar in a few weeks and this queso would be a perfect addition.
This queso would be perfect alongside a fajita bar, I love that idea!
That’s a super cute idea for Christmas! It sounds and look delicious! Great appetizer idea!
Thank you so much! This is an easy appetizer that everyone will love.
I used to buy Morning Star Farms’ spicy black bean burgers all the time. I actually prefer them most of the time over a beef burger. But I didn’t realize the brand had all these other products. I’m not a vegetarian, but I will definitely give some of these a try.
The MorningStar crumbles are so versatile! You will love adding these to your recipes.
I love this brand. My daughter LOVES the chicken nuggets and I love pretty much everything lol. Thanks for the great recipe
The fake chicken nuggets are pretty awesome, I totally agree! Don’t forget to get your savings on Ibotta!
The reindeer cookie cut tortilla chips just made this next level. They are so freaking cute, when you use creative shapes it makes any recipe even more appealing. Great idea.
Thank you so much! Kids love using cookie cutters and this is a fun way to use them.
I didn’t realize that there were so many meat substitute options available at the grocery store. The reindeer shaped cut outs were a nice holiday touch.
There are tons of meat substitutes at the store! We love to use seitan, TVP, tofu, and other meat substitutes.
Sara, that recipe looks so yummy! I’ll have to try that one. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!