Today I am sharing with you our famous Toffee Chocolate Chip cookies. These cookies have won awards and always receive rave reviews. They are not too difficult to make at all. You start by making your own toffee, which sounds much more intimidating than it is. Freeze the toffee and then break it up into small pieces to add to a delicious chocolate chip cookie dough. Our simple three-ingredient toffee recipe has gone viral on Pinterest, amassing over 25 million views and hundreds of thousands of saves. Click this link if you want to save the pin for later.
HISTORY OF ORGANIC VALLEY
Organic products are better for your family and for the environment. Organic Valley is the only brand of dairy products that I have been serving my family for the past 30 years. You might not think that there is a difference between organic and non-organic foods but there really is. Organic Valley was started in the Midwest in 1988 by a group of family farmers. These small family farms were getting overrun but the large industrial chemical farms.
Organic Valley is a cooperative made up of family farms. If you have never tried organic dairy products, you must taste them to believe them. Not only are these products more decadent and delicious, they are also better for your family. They have a higher nutritional content and do not contain any pesticides, synthetic hormones, and non-GMO ingredients. Organic Valley dairy products have ingredient transparency, you can know exactly what farm made your milk, butter, cheese, or cream. You can even learn the names of the cows that gave the milk to make these products.
These cookies use very standard ingredients that you probably have in your house already.
ORGANIC VALLEY BUTTER, MILK, AND EGGS
WHITE AND BROWN SUGAR
HOW TO MAKE TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
This recipe has two steps. Make the toffee, then let it harden in the freezer. While the toffee hardens, you can work on the chocolate chip cookie dough. The chocolate chip cookie dough is not different than most cookie doughs. The longer the dough sits in the refrigerator, the better the flavor of the cookies will be. You can even scoop them into cookie ball shapes and then refrigerate them.
If you do not want to make brown butter for the cookie dough you don’t have to. You can simply use softened sticks of butter instead. An important note, when you cream the butter and sugar together, make sure you cream it together for a minimum of 5 minutes and up to 10 minutes. Creaming your butter and sugars long enough is the key to making a better texture in your cookies and disperses the sugars evenly throughout.
FAQ ABOUT ORGANIC PRODUCTS
Click on the Organic Valley website here and sign up for their newsletter, you might even get some free coupons. The newsletter is filled with incredible information about organic farmers and the work that they do. Once you have registered your zip code on the website, you will see the organic farm that is closest to your home and you can read more about them. I found photos and a full-page story about the Holterholm family farm, located only 45 miles away from me.
I have always tried to buy organic products when I can. Organic Valley farmers have 30 years of knowledge about how to create a happy environment for the cows to live in. Happy cows produce more milk. The Organic Valley products taste amazing (do a taste test yourself, you might be surprised at how much better the Organic Valley products taste). Food that tastes better, and is healthier for your family, seems like an easy decision to me. Organic Valley farms have higher standards of care for their animals. Cows roam freely and spend more time outside. On average, Organic Valley cows spend 50% more time outside in the pastures, than the organic standards require.
My mission is to prioritize the health of my family. At the same time, I want to do what is best for the earth and the environment. I feel really good about serving Organic Valley dairy products to my family and you should too. Organic Valley is owned by almost 1800 small organic farms across the US, Canada, Australia, and the UK. Each of these family farms is committed to taking care of its animals in the best way possible. The coolest part of the Organic Valley company is that all the family farms are part owners in the business.
PRODUCTS THAT WILL HELP MAKE THIS RECIPE AMAZING
You really do not need any fancy equipment to make these yummy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies. But if you want to use the products that we do it will make cookie-making easier. The most important kitchen An electric mixer is super helpful for creaming the butter and sugars together. We love this Kitchen Aid mixer, it is a workhorse. Next, you need some strong cookie sheets. Your cookie sheet can really make a big difference in the quality of your cookies. We love this 3 piece set of Aluminum cookie sheets from Nordic Ware. A silpat nonstick silicone baking mat is crucial. I love this one because it has cookie circles to help your kids space their cookies in the perfect spots. A cookie scoop is so much fun for kids to use. This one is a perfect size for these toffee chocolate chip cookies. A heavy-bottomed pan like this All-Clad pan is great for making the toffee. The last thing that I recommend is these crumpet rings. They are great for making any round foods, but also great for keeping your cookies nice and circular.
TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Homemade Toffee
- 1 stick of butter, Organic Valley brand preferred
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter, Organic Valley brand preferred, room temp is best
- 2 Tablespoons milk, Organic Valley preferred
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs, Organic Valley brand preferred, room temp is best
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Make your toffee
- Place butter, brown sugar and salt in a pan.
- Stir until completely melted.
- Keep stirring, constantly, over medium heat, until it reaches 300 degrees on a thermometer.
- Pour into a pan lined with parchment paper and put in the freezer until completely hardened.
- Remove from refrigerator and break into small pieces.
- Eat toffee plain, it is so good, or set aside to add to chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line your cookie sheet with a silpat, parchment paper, or foil that has been sprayed.
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt.
- Brown the two sticks on butter in a pan.
- Cook the butter until it is brown and it starts to smell fragrant (about 1o minutes on low heat)
- Please keep an eye on it so it does not burn.
- Put the brown butter into the refrigerator to cool.
- Once it is cool, cream the browned butter, sugar, and brown sugar together.
- Add in vanilla, eggs and milk.
- Slowly add the flour in.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and your toffee pieces.
- You can keep this dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can keep this dough in the freezer, make them into cookie balls and then freeze in a ziploc bag, for up to 3 months.
- I use a #40 medium cookie scoop to make the cookies. This is about 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes until golden brown.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven you can make them into perfect circles by using a round crumpet ring to reinforce the shape.
- Let cookies cool before eating them.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days, our cookies never last that long!
You can find Organic Valley products at Whole Foods Markets, Sprouts, Walmart, and Publix. Click here to find a full list of stores that carry these products.