Zucchini season is winding down and I am always on the lookout for a healthy zucchini bread. The zucchini bread recipes that my Mom made, all had at least a cup of oil in them, or even a few sticks of butter. I want to be able to enjoy my zucchini bread, not thinking that I could eat a piece of cheesecake for the same amount of calories. This zucchini bread recipe is vegan, lowfat, healthy, low in sugar and really delicious. Since I grated my peeled zucchini, there was no green color to my bread and the kids had no idea what was in it. Once they tasted how delicious it was, they did not even ask what the ingredients were. The vanilla paste that I use is crucial to all our baked goods. You can find it on Amazon here. If you are not vegan and you do not want to use aquafaba( which is the liquid from a can of chickpeas) you can easily substitute 2 eggs for the 1/2 cup of aquafaba.
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 cup aquafaba or 2 eggs
- 5 small zucchini shredded finely, squeeze out all the water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 T vanilla paste
- Peel, grate, then press out all the water from your zucchini.
- Use a bowl or a food processor to combine your ingredients.
- First combine all your wet ingredients: zucchini, sugar, aquafaba, applesauce, vanilla
- Stir in your sinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, both flours, and mix gently.
- Pour into a bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve with a bit of peanut butter for a delicious, healthy snack.