Summer dinners are meant to be quick, relaxing and should showcase our favorite summer foods. These corn pancakes are not only delicious but are also quite nutritious. Enjoy them with maple syrup or serve with a side salad. Savory pancakes are such a nice change from sweet breakfast pancakes. Give these a try if you want to hold onto summer a bit longer!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- non vegans use 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- vegans use 3/4 cup of aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 T oil
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (if frozen heat them up a bit)
- 1/2 small onion, diced small
- scallions, half a bunch sliced up thin, white and green parts
- 1 T thyme, fresh or dried
- 1 tsp parsley, fresh or dried
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add in your eggs+yolk or aquafaba, milk and oil. Mix gently.
- Stir in the fresh or defrosted corn, onions, scallions, thyme and parsley.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high. You can cook these pancakes with oil, an oil spray or dry. Ladle about 1/4 cup of your batter into the hot pan. Cook about 1.5-2 minutes per side, flip. Both sides should be lightly browned. Batter should yield 6 large size pancakes.
These corn pancakes can be made as a main course or as a side dish. Serve them at your next BBQ or picnic. Enjoy!