Hemp Seed Bread
Have you heard of hemp seeds? I first learned of them a few days ago and then I immediately looked them up on Amazon. Do you also look up new foods on Amazon? I quickly found many hemp seed options. I thought it was really strange that I had never even seen hemp seeds in any of my health local food stores before. Thanks to my Amazon Prime membership, I had my hemp seeds 2 days later and started to experiment with them.
If you need some hemp seeds, these are the ones we are buying in June 2020.
and if you need a high-quality organic agave syrup for this recipe, you cannot beat a big bottle for under $5.
I opened up the bag and I was surprised. I thought that hemp seeds would be more seed-like. The seeds tasted fine, but I could tell that they would be better in something else. They easily melted in my mouth as I ate them. We experimented a few times: we added them to oatmeal, smoothies, and rolled some no-bake cookies in them. They added a really nice flavor and packed in some extra nutrients as well.
The nutrition facts on the back of the package are excellent. You only need to eat 3 spoonfulls a day to add a nice amount of Omega 3s to your diet. If you eat 3 Tablespoons of hemp seeds it is only 174 calories and 13 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of saturated fat. There are 11 grams of protein and high levels of iron, zinc, phosphorous, and magnesium in just 3 Tablespoons as well. This one serving (30 grams) has 25% of your daily thiamin, 15% of your daily B6, 10% of your daily folate, 50% of your daily phosphorous, 50% of your daily magnesium, 20% of your daily zinc, 25% of your daily copper, and 110% of your daily manganese. These hemp seeds are power-packed.
We love bread so we got to work on experimenting with many recipes to find the perfect hemp seed bread. My five kids taste-tested each and every loaf. This recipe was the winner because the seeds really melted into the bread. This loaf of hemp seed bread just tasted like a delicious slice of bread.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds raw
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1 package of rapid rise yeast
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water.
- Combine hemp seeds, flours, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup combine warm water (110 degrees), yeast and agave.
- Let proof and stand for at least 5 minutes. If your cup is not nice and frothy at the top, throw it out and start again!
- Make a well in the center of the flours bowl.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and stir until it is starting to turn into a ball of dough.
- Move the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth (remember the hemp seeds will make the dough look a bit lumpy, this is fine!)
- Place dough ball in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise for 2 hours. Dough should double.
- Deflate dough and shape into a loaf and let rise again 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Update July 2016:
I wrote this post 5 years ago. Time really goes by so quickly. We still love our hemp seeds and funny enough, we are even more addicted to Amazon Prime. Thanks for visiting and keep on eating your hemp seeds. I hope you enjoy this protein-packed Hemp Seed Bread.
Update June 2020:
Updating this post with some new photos and added a Youtube video as well. I hope you enjoy this delicious hemp seed bread as much as we do.