Happy New Year! I cannot believe we are headed into a new year, 2021. Today I am sharing with you not only a delicious recipe for breakfast cookies, but I am also sharing some other great recipes from some blogging friends. January is also known as #Veganuary. It is a very popular New Year’s resolution where people try new vegan recipes. I am sharing not only these amazing vegan breakfast cookies, but I also have some help from friends with other meal ideas and inspiration. I hope you enjoy these vegan recipes from my blogger friends for you to check out below. Enjoy!
Healthy Breakfast for on the go nutrition
My kids are not huge breakfast fans. They like to go to school without stopping to eat a big breakfast. These healthy breakfast cookies are perfect. You can grab a few on your way out the door. When you tell your kids they can eat cookies for breakfast, they usually come running. Shhh, don’t tell your kids that these cookies are good for them. Oats, coconut, bananas and a little bit of chocolate. A delicious way to start your day.
You probably have all the ingredients in your house to make these breakfast cookies. I like to make a double batch on the weekend and then I throw them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. If you take a few cookies out of the freezer a half hour before you are ready to eat them they are perfectly defrosted.
The inspiration for these cookies was a day many years ago when my grown children were babies. I had trouble feeding them breakfast. They were simply not morning people. No matter what healthy food I offered they turned their heads away. So one day I had some old bananas and I made these healthy cookies. The next morning I told the kids that they could have a special treat, a cookie for breakfast. Their eyes opened wider and they got so excited. They each ate two cookies and begged for more. My mission to feed them breakfast was accomplished, I just needed to name the breakfast correctly.
- 6 oz chocolate chopped or ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Flake Coconut
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks or just use mini chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth.
- Whisk in the vanilla and oil and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Put wet and dry ingredients together and stir until combined.
- Fold in chopped chocolate.
- With a mini cookie scoop or a tablespoon measure, drop dough onto lined pans, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake 12–14 minutes, until golden brown around edges.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Please take a few minutes and check out some of the delicious recipes my blogging friends are sharing. Please leave me a comment if you make these breakfast cookies for your kids. I hope they enjoy them as much as my kids do.